On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 09:41:48PM +0200, Alon Weinstein wrote:
>Found a solution, though I'm not sure *why* this happens. I tried
>running "xkbprint" (basically just to see if I can get some error
>messages about xkb, because I guessed that's where the problem is from
>the logs), and got a message that it couldn't load "libxkbfile.so.1"
>"locate libxkbfile.so.1" gave me nothing, and "locate libxkbfile" gave
>me /usr/X11R6/lib/libxkbfile.a. Looking at /usr/X11R6/lib/ I found a few
>libxkbfile.so, libxkbfile.so.1 and libxkbfile.so.1.0 -- I symlinked
>/usr/X11R6/lib/libxkbfile.so.1 to /lib, restarted X, and voila -- works.
>
>What I don't understand is *why* that happend. Anyone?

Most libraries are built as shared libraries now.  Re-running
'ldconfig' to update the run-time loader's cache would have fixed
this without creating symlinks.

Maybe 'make install' should run the relevant 'ldconfig' on platforms
that need it (when DESTDIR isn't set).

David
--
David Dawes
developer/release engineer                      The XFree86 Project