Quoth Coryn Bailer-Jones:

> But my 1280x800 display works fine under Windows (i.e. not stretched) so
> the video card must support this (widescreen) mode. I guess the problem
> is that the Linux driver is not providing support for this mode (or
> rather, it doesn't obviously support this mode - maybe there is a patch
> or a fix somewhere?).

NO! On the i8xx chipsets, the ONLY modes that are supported by XFree86 are
those listed in the video bios. If it's not there, it cannot be done
unless someone completely re-writes the driver (a thing which is
impossible without knowing the technical details of the hardware).

Now this is not to say that the hardware cannot do a 1280x800 mode - but
the windows drivers work differently.  who knows how they work? Intel and
Microsoft certainly aren't sharing.

The only way to get what you want using the current Xfree86 design is an
update to the video bios listing the 1280x800 mode.  This is ONLY
available from your hardware manufacturer.  hassle them.

There is no patch or fix or anything.  There's just not enough public
information.

This is all something that has been said before!  See here:

:-)

cheers
chris
|  TELESCOPE, n.                                                        |
|  A device having a relation to the eye similar to that of the         |
|  telephone to the ear, enabling distant objects to plague us with a   |
|  multitude of needless details. Luckily it is unprovided with a bell  |
|  summoning us to the sacrifice.                                       |
|                 -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"           |