Quoth Ben Phillips:

> Does the X server (DRI or otherwise) need a certain amount of graphics
> memory available in order to initialize its modes before it loads the
> i810 driver?  Because if it were limited to 1 MB at that stage, then
> that would at least explain why I was stuck in 640x480.

exactly.  Despite the "videoram" line, unless the BIOS actually allocates
the memory to graphics, it doesn't have an effect.  You can count yourself
amongst the lucky few with the i8xx chipset and a BIOS that lets you
allocate a reasonable amount of memory, as per intel requirement.

If there's not enough memory, the best you can get is [EMAIL PROTECTED], which
is not a lot of fun.  There is a hack around that lets you allocate any
amount of memory - just hacks around the BIOS - which is in the Xfree86
source, so hopefully these problems will start to go away...

> What do you guys think?  Did I answer my own question?  :)

yup :-)

cheers
chris
|  TELESCOPE, n.                                                        |
|  A device having a relation to the eye similar to that of the         |
|  telephone to the ear, enabling distant objects to plague us with a   |
|  multitude of needless details. Luckily it is unprovided with a bell  |
|  summoning us to the sacrifice.                                       |
|                 -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"           |