I'd like to be able to make windows on my screen
translucent. Is XRender the best way to do that?

The main site for XRender at www.eax.com/render,
appears to be down. I don't know if this is still the
main site, but its really the only one that I can find
on google. I can get a cached copy of the page from
google, but of course I can't get a copy of the
example programs listed on the page.

I'd like to develop a command-line tool (unless there
already is one), with which users would provide on the
command line, the id number of a window on their
display and the translucency level they want, and the
program would make the neccessary Xlib calls to set
it.

I can then use this tool in scripts to play with
translucency and not have to modify any of the
programs that I want to make translucent.

Is this possible? Is there an existing command-line
program to do this that I'm not aware of?

Could you somehow provide(ex: attachment) some example
programs to help me get started. As I said, I can't
get any from the www.eax.com/render site.

I've seen some screenshots about XRender that show
oddly shaped images (rectangle w/ rounded edges,
etc...) that are made translucent, but don't have any
background between them and the border of the window
they are in. The window border doesn't show up at all,
the image is just floating there above the other
windows on the screen. Was this done with the SHAPE
extension, or does XRender have something to do with
it?

:)