Quoth TOUBLANC, Nicolas:

> I installed linux mandrake 9.2. In startup, lilo ask to start in "linux"
> or "linux-secure" mode.
>
> In linux mode, all works, but in linux-secure, x don't start (a black
> screen appear).

this is to be expected. I don't use mandrake, so don't know exactly what
it does, but there are many potential vulnerabilities that security
patches like this close off.  Unfortunately, these are often features that
programmes like XFree86 use.

There is always a trade-off of security and useability/flexibility - e.g.
loadable kernel modules can create a big problem, but are also incredibly
useful.  If you *really* need a paranoid security model, you probably
should be using OpenBSD...

cheers
chris

|  TELESCOPE, n.                                                        |
|  A device having a relation to the eye similar to that of the         |
|  telephone to the ear, enabling distant objects to plague us with a   |
|  multitude of needless details. Luckily it is unprovided with a bell  |
|  summoning us to the sacrifice.                                       |
|                 -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"           |