Quoth Odd Christer Brovig:

> What is the status for this chipset and resolution? Will it work native
> in 4.4.0? I've had no success of getting the mode up and running in both
> 4.3.0 with 855patch and 4.4.0 rc2(installed from binaries provided by
> xfree86.org).

not unless there has been a *significant* rewrite of the driver, which is
unlikely (and there hasn't been any news about it - I assume we'd know).

I _do_ recall a while back someone saying that intel had released an 855
Video Bios update, which included this mode (so X couldthen use it), but
it relies on your manufacturer incorporating this into a system BIOS
update.

On dell machines at least, this seems very unlikely :-(

I feel you pain - in fact, I'm experiencing it right now :)

cheers
chris