Can you help me? When I run startx after loging onto my IBM IntelliStation
running Linux the X system fails with this message.

Fatal server error:
PAM authentication failed, cannot start X server.
Perhaps you do not have console ownership?
When reporting a problem related to a server crash please send the full
server output, not just the last messages to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Then a little while later it says:
giving up
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno3): server error.

I would be happy to send you what is asked for in the error message but I
don't know what that is.
This work station has been working happily for nearly a year and one day it
just stopped letting any
of the users run startx. Interestingly, root is able to run startx and once
I have console window up as root I  I
have to type xhost + then su to my user name and get back to work in a
fairly normal way. None of the users can
execute xhost + until root has done it. Also interesting when any of the
users execute XFree86 -version we get the same message as given above when
startx fails.

The version of XFree86 is 4.2.0 (Red Hat version 4.2.0-8).
My version of Red Hat is 2.4.18-18.7.xsmp

Thanks,
 Brian Fuller

Brian Fuller
Sterling Seismic Services, Ltd.