Jonathan McLean wrote:
> I know that this is supposed to be an email for
> XFree86 issues, but if anyone feels like helping a
> newb in need with a sound problem that be great.
> e-mail if you might want to help.

1) Sorry for replying on list, I thought some of this may be of use to
others.

2) I doubt I can specifically help you, but I thought I'd try to point
you to some resources (and make a request).

Resources:

   * The help pages, lists, forums whatever for your particular Linux
distribution.

   * The linux audio user mail list,
[EMAIL PROTECTED], I'm fairly certain you subscribe by
sending a message containing only "subscribe" (I'd put it in the header
and body) to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I started some WikiLearn pages to record my own and other's
experiences.  If they help, great, if they don't, how about adding
something to them after you solve your problem.  (If they are not
understandable, feel free to refactor them to make them more
understandable -- they are on a wiki.

   * http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/SoundInLinux
   * http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/SoundChecklist

regards,