Hi, everybody!

I was trying to do some keyboard customization with Xkb module.
I have my own custom layout of a cyrillic keyboard, that I have been using for a while with RH 6.1.

After upgrading to RH 9, this stopped working, and despite my desperate attempts, I was not able to figure out what is wrong.

My layout is in the file /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/ru-utf-ph
I have this in XF86Config:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "keyboard"
    Option     "XkbSymbols" "en_US(pc104)+ru-utf-ph+group(shift_toggle)
    Option      "XkbGeometry" "pc(pc104)"
    Option      "XkbModel" "pc104"
EndSection

This is the setup that used to work for me with RH 6.2
Now, however, the X seems to be ignoring it completele - nothing happenes at all when I try to swith the keyboard mode.

I tried doing it the "newer" way:
setxkbmap -layout "us,ru-utf_ph" -option "grp:shift_toggle"

But this just says: Error loading new keyboard description
... not very informative :-(

I noticed, that if instead of my layout I use just 'ru':
setxkbmap -layout "us,ru" -option "grp:shift_toggle"

... that works fine.
Further, I was able to use the 'standard' phonetic layout with
setxkbmap -layout "us,ru" -option "grp:shift_toggle" \
-variant ",phonetic"

I then tried adding my layout to original ru file instead of having my own - I added a new variant, and called it "ph".
I then tried:
setxkbmap -layout "us,ru" -option "grp:shift_toggle" \
-variant ",ph"
.. but that stiil fails.

I also tried to swap my layout with the standard one - renamed mine "phonetic", and the standard one to "ph" - now
setxkbmap -layout "us,ru" -option "grp:shift_toggle" \
-variant ",phonetic"

still works, but I still gives me the standard layout.

Overall, it looks like whatever I do to that xkb/symbols directory is totally ignored, and instead it is using something else for those layouts.

I am out of ideas :-( If somebody could please help me, I would greatly appreciate that!

Thansk a lot!

Dima