Let me propose a "hardware" solution. Try using mouse pads with a built in
wrist rest. My wife had this problem and getting her this type of pad sorted
out the problem.

For the record I used a pad  made by "d boeder", now called Ednet. The wrist
rest is gel filled. The pad itself is oval.

The pads last 12 to 18 months, after which the rest is too squashed to be
useful.