On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, David Hill wrote:

>     I just noticed (while looking at /var/log/messages) that when I boot
> Linux (on a dual P3 500 with onboard scsi controllers) there is absolutely NO
> PROBLEMS.  XDM starts with the login windows and everything looks fine.

> As soon as I type the username/password and login Xfree/KDE, there is a lot
> of "Parity Errors observed".  Could the problem be in the Linux/Ati rage 128
> drivers for X ?

> What I don't understand is that XDM is using Xfree.  So why the problem is
> occuring only when XDM gives the control to Xfree/KDE?

> I'm not pretty sure of the location of the problem, but it's pretty weird.

> There is PCI parity errors until I press "ENTER" in the XDM login window.

> Anything else on the computer will work just fine.

> Before entering the window manager or quitting XDM or else, I can kill -9,
> ctrl-alt-backspace, /etc/rc2.d/S99xdm restart anytime and there is no
> problem.  I can listen to my mp3s, do ANYTHING with the computer...

> but as I said earlier, as soon as I login using XDM, or else, type startx, it
> starts making noise/bad parity on the scsi controler.

> I think it could be an IRQ problem, but the point is that the parity error
> messages are only happening (and wont quit until I restart the computer) when
> I use Xfree...

That's plausible, I suppose.  But, first, let's see if the parity errors
persists with Option "NoAccel" in your XF86Config's device section.  This'll
slow things down considerably, of course, but would shed light on the problem.

Thanks.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |