Hello

I'm currently involved in the development
of an in-house diskless thin client system which is based
on Linux. I have to build network-bootable images
that run an X session and then run rdesktop
to give the user a Windows environment.

I've already succeded for the most part,
however there's some very old hardware that
isn't worth upgrading (Pentiums with 16MB of RAM)
that i'd like to be able to use. So here's my problem:

I have already managed to make 3.5MB images
that include Xfree 3.3 and take up about 18.5
MB of memory to run, which is ~2.5 MB more than
I can afford. (Packing executables with UPX did
wonders) I'm trying to find a way to get the X process to take
up less than the current ~5.5MB of memory.

Providing I'm interested in making this X installation
support only one driver (svga), Is there any
way to reduce the executable size/memory footprint
by disabling drivers at compile-time? On a related note,
there's also some features i don't need (Backing store,
for example, as X will only open one fullscreen window)
that i could, in this case, live without.

I have googled for info on building X from sources
but couldn't find anything useful beyond the usual
'make World' ..  any suggestions will be very welcome.

Thanks.

Damian