On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Asri Sulaiman wrote:

> Marc Aurele La France wrote:
> >> Your options, at this point, are to talk to Dell (dead end), give up on the
> >> onboard adapter in multihead, replace your motherboard, or get a system that's
> >> not so broken.  Or, as I suggested above, atyfb _might_ come in handy for a
> >> change.

> I would like to try atyfb first. But please forgive
> my ignorance. What would be the best way to set it up?

> I found atyfb.o in
> /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/video/aty
> "modprobe atyfb" seems ok at first, but system hang when
> I do "init 3".

Well, I did say atyfb _might_ work, not _would_ work.

>   Put modprobe in rc.local, and it hang during boot. (Fortunately
> I found  the install CD needed to do a rescue. A good side
> effect: it moved me to convert all my ext2 partition to ext3
> so recovery would not be so long next time I hit "reset")

> Adding "Load atyfb" in the XF86Config file, Section "Module":
> it says module not found in XF86 log.

Right.  atyfb is a kernel module, not an XFree86 one.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |