On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Aijaz Ahmed wrote:

> I have a Intel Itanium machine with Red Hat Linux Advance Server 2.1
> installed on it. The VGA card is ATI RAGE XL. When I startx on this
> machine I get the following error.

> I will really appreciate any help on this.

> XFree86 Version 4.1.0 (Red Hat Linux release: 4.1.0-38) / X Window System
> (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6510)
> Release Date: 2 June 2001
>        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
>        newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
>        reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
> Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.18-e.0.20smp ia64 [ELF]
> Build Host: boris.devel.redhat.com

        [...]

> (==) ATI(0): Chipset:  "ati".
> (**) ATI(0): Depth 16, (--) framebuffer bpp 16
> (EE) ATI(0): Adapters found to be in VGA mode on server entry are not
> supported by the MMIO-only version of this driver.

1) The driver was miscompiled for this platform.
2) XFree86 4.1.0 is much too old for this to work anyway.
3) Double posting your query doesn't help.
4) Talk to RedHat.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |