On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Tamas Hauer wrote:

I am trying to start an X server with two screens on two VGA cards.
Here they are:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 Pro Ultra TF
02:01.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 264VT [Mach64
VT] (rev 40)
(see the output of lspci -vv at : http://cern.ch/tamas.hauer/X/lspci)

The interesing ( I think) part of XF86Config is below, (the whole
thing is at: http://cern.ch/tamas.hauer/X/XF86Config.dual).  For
testing purposes, I define three
layouts: Single, Second and Xine.  These should start one screen on
the first or the
second monitor and the xinerama, respectively.  Then I do:

startx -- -xf86config XF86Config.dual -layout Single
startx -- -xf86config XF86Config.dual -layout Second
startx -- -xf86config XF86Config.dual -layout Xine

The first two work as expected but the dual setup does not.  In that
case I get a single
screen on my primary monitor (the one defined in Single) and nothing else.

I would greatly appreciate any insight.

The XFree logs are here:
http://cern.ch/tamas.hauer/X/XFree86.0.log.Single
http://cern.ch/tamas.hauer/X/XFree86.0.log.Second
http://cern.ch/tamas.hauer/X/XFree86.0.log.Xine

I tried various combinations of drivers (ati and vesa) for the two
cards, no success

Please post the output of `scanpci -v`, one run just after a power-down/reboot but before the X server starts.

It seems your system BIOS is not allocating resources to the secondary adapter. If that's the case, you are very lucky that the VESA driver works at all.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |