[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi,

A - GENERAL
ASUS board:  P4S533-MX, 3.06GHz, 1GB
Video: integrated, SiS 651 chipset.
Monitor:
  Hitachi, CM715, 19in; 1600,1200; 30-95; 50-120
  Run at,
  1200x768 x 85Hz - perfect (and preferred) screen
  1200x768 x 75Hz - smaller (shrunk) screen
OS's:  Linux 2.6.8.1 with XFree86 v.4.4,
       Win2K to SP4, WinXP to SP2

B - PROBLEM
In Windows - on any SiS651 drivers, the ASUS original (2.13),
SiS's 2.22 or their latest 3.62 - the monitor boots up on 75Hz (max).
However, if monitor is left powered off UNTIL the system is fully up,
the monitor/driver then powers on at 85Hz (with allowed refresh
rates as high as 100 and 120! ).

On Linux, with XFree86 4.4 SiS driver, the monitor is always perfect,
(1200x768 x 84Hz x 68.5K - as read off the screen setup).
For the record, in XF86Config,  the ModeLine is  "1024x768"
  94.50 1024 1072 1168 1376  768  769  772  808 +hsync +vsync

C - QUESTION (and pleadings for HELP)
A possible coincidence, I started noticing the Windows problem only
at one point after I installed the XFree86 4.4 (and its SiS driver).
I have NOT established any direct link (cause/effect) between Linux driver
and Windows behavior of the monitor/driver, BUT
being at my wits end, I'm wondering

1. If it's possible that the Linux SiS driver has somehow "programmed"
the monitor to respond with a changed ID string and/or different timings, etc. which could confuse the Windows driver startup-query.

2. If the above MAY have happened (under ANY circumstances, Linux
or not), whether there exists a way (utility, etc.) to "reset" the monitor
to its original values.

The SiS driver does not "program the monitor". It only reads its DDC info. There is no way the monitor reports different data after this (at least not that I know of). The only issue could be that the Windows driver reads DDC1 data which is not available after booting Linux since the DDC specification says that as soon as a device is being switched to DDC2 (which the SiS Linux/XF86 driver does), it has to remain in this state until it is switched off.

But I can hardly imagine that the SiS Windows driver depends on DDC1. (But then again, this is SiS... you never know... Anyway, if switching off and on the monitor doesn't help, I suggest you switch off the monitor detection in Windows and use a fixed rate there).

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria