On Oct 20, 2004, at 04:07, barbara figueirido wrote:

I'm very new to this, but since I see no answer, I'll try to give a hint (although I don't know if it's applicable, because I don't know anything about Apple); though, the message seems to indicate to me that there is a question about permissions; i.e., that the path X11 is reading has only root access (confirmed by your inplication that the problem arises when you intend going rootless); try setting it world readable+executable.

I hope this is of some use, if not please let me know, so I can further my understanding of these processes

Actually that makes plenty of sense, but that doesn't help. I checked all the files in the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/ and everything as well as in the fonts directory therein are owned by root and have 755 as the privileges. I also looked at the /sw/lib/X11 directory (including the nested fonts directory) and found the same thing. So unless there is somewhere else I should look, that doesn't appear to be the problem.

I am surprised that yours was the only response. I really wish I could get this working. I'm now beginning to regret breaking the older version by trying to install the newer version.

-- Chip

        'Calm down-it's only ones and zeros.'