On Thursday 04 November 2004 21:50, abdelmoula hicham wrote:
> when insatlling linux 7.1 on my PC, no grafic interface, i've only console
> to deal whith. when i tape xstart i've received this message (look for log
> file) . XFree86 version is 4.0.3 /Xwindow system(protocole version 11,
> revision 0. release 16 march 2001. OS linux 2.2.17-8smp i686 my pc config
> is: HP, intel4, RAM 256M, HD 40 GO.

You've got a number of issues here:

> (--) PCI:*(1:0:0) ATI unknown chipset (0x5446) rev 0, Mem @ 0xd8000000/26,
> 0xdfdfc000/14, I/O @ 0x9800/8

You're using an old version of XFree (4.0.3), which does not support your ATI
chipset

> (II) VGA: Generic VGA driver (version 4.0) for chipsets: generic

so you've decided to use the generic VGA driver

> (EE) VGA(0): Given depth (16) is not supported by this driver.

which does not support 16 bit color mode.

My suggestion is to upgrade your linux distribution to something more recent,
and use the proper driver (probably the radeon).

Regards,

Pieter Hulshoff