Though I have used Linux since 1997 there is still tech jargon I do not grasp. This is causing some consternation on configuration of X.

I see the terms pixel clock, dot clock and RAMDAC used. The first two appear to be the same. There rae not the same as RAMDAC according to my logs, but are they?

I situation is a bit more complicated, I think, due to the hardware I use. My video adaptor is a Matrox g400MAX, while my monitor is a SGI 1600SW, but driven by a MultiLink Adaptor, which mandates a VertRefresh of 60Hz as far as I can see.

I believe that X should support all modes, but it is a matter of some hand configuration. After long searches I am not satisfied at how to determine some of the specs, including sssuch numbers as Front porch or back porch. I am not sure about the correct polarity either.

Manuals that came with my hardware - read "all" - were scant - read meant ofr Microsoft users - there is little info. I did manage to find a pdf on the SGI web site that actually addressed the MultiLink in a Matrox g400 manual so I do have more.

It appears that SuSE 9.0 does not support 3D accel, but I'm suspicious of this.

Does any one have a link to definitions of the variuos terms used in the config? Along with this I am a bit confused about my monitor combination. It appears to me that X sees the 1600SW and MUltiLink as a single monitor. If that is the case I'm guessing the VertRefresh will be 60Hz no matter which resolution I use.

Again I'm a bit lost on definitions.

Thanks