From: John Puri [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 19 January 2005 13:44
To: Benstead, Kevin
Subject: RE: [XFree86] Troubleshoot

Respected

The problem is not solved. My RAM is 96 MB in which 32 MB is share memory
for graphics. So I write 32764kb.
As I read my monitor profile I found that Horizontal range is 30 ~ 72 khz
and Vertical is 45 ~ 150 hz. Can I write this in my monitor configuration?
Hope to have a favourable reply?

"Benstead, Kevin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Your comments are correct there is something wrong with the monitor
settings. In this section of your config file

Section "Monitor"
Indentifier  "Monitor0"
VendorNmae  "Monitor Vendor"
ModelName  "Unprobed Monitor"
HorizSync  50.0-61.0
VertRefresh  31.5-31.5
Options  "dpms"
EndSection

The HorizSync and VertRefresh rates are swapped over. I don't believe your
monitor has a HORIZONTAL refresh rate of 50 to 61 KHZ and a Vertical Refresh
of 31.5HZ.

That's why you get lots of messages like this

(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "640 * 350" (hsync out of
range)
and
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "800 * 600" (vrefresh out of
range)

The label on the back of your monitor should tell you what the refresh rates
should be.

Secondly I note that your have a Savage chipset.

This may explain why you had the problem where your monitor went blank.
(Your original problem).

Fortunately I've seen this problem my self and the solution is reasonably
easy.

In the following section.

Section "Device"
Identifier "VideoCard0"
Driver "Savage"
VendorNmae "VideoCard vendor"
BoardName "S3 Prosavage KM133"
EndSection

Add the following lines before the EndSection.

Option "UseBIOS" "False"
VideoRAM 8192

The first line stops XFree from attempting to use settings in the Savage
BIOS which has been known to cause problems.

The second line tells the Savage Driver how much of your system RAM is
allocated to your graphics controller. The value should be the same as the
amount of video RAM allocated in your BIOS.

Note that your BIOS will probably allocate the memory in MBytes while the
VideoRAM setting is in Kbytes. So in my example above I have the video ram
in the bios set to 8M therefore my VideoRAM setting in the config file is
8192 (8M x 1024).

Hope this helps.

Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today!
Download Messenger Now