On Sun, 12 Jun 2005, Anthony Green wrote:
I would like some help on the following if possible please ...

I have upgraded from Debian woody to sarge and X windows stopped working on me. I have tried for the past couple of days to work out what is wrong but I have run out of ideas and was wondering if anyone could please help.

The upgrade otherwise to 3.1 went fine ... X with any amount of trying will not start properly and when you try and load it, the system halts / crashes and I have to manually reboot the machine. I havent changed any hardware. I had to use a rescue disk initially to boot and stop /etc/init.d/xdm from starting on boot so I could get back into my system.

I installed all the packages using aptitude (it upgraded them etc), and then ran update-alternatives --config x-window-manager as per the release notes. I use olvwm, so I configured that ... and when it crashed I installed enlightenment and setup it as default window manager to see if it was olvwm causing the issue ... but the same thing happened.

The wierd thing is ... I can run "XFree86" fine by iteself from the command line... I get the grey screen with an "X" pointer in the middle of it etc. So I assume my monitor / card settings are ok in my XF86Config-4 file.. ? I cant move the mouse or anything from this screen, but I get an X display without a window manager / login screen. I can alt-ctrl-backspace to exit.

I went through the whole dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 process to create a new XF86Config file (i know all my monitor settings / what card etc) and it wrote a new config file in /etc/X11 but still crashed the system when I tried to run X.

When I try and run startx or X ... it tries to load .. screen goes black and then the whole system hangs. I have tried this as root (using XF86Config in /etc/X11 and file in ~ dir), and as a user (echo "exec /usr/X11R6/bin/twm" >| ~/.xsession && startx) from the command line.

I also have tried "apt-get install discover read-edid mdetect && dpkg --force-depends -P x-window-system-core && apt-get install x-window-system-core" .. to refresh whats there to no affect.

I have made sure theres no local user .xsession files breaking things, or a /etc/X11/Xsession file.

/etc/X11/default-display-manager contains "/usr/bin/X11/xdm"

I dont know how to further investigate what exactly is happening or whats causing the issue so if anyone has any ideas please let me know. Also if you need more information please let me know too.

As mentioned I am running Debian 3.1 stable and kernel version:
Linux GiGzBoX 2.2.26 #25 Tue Jun 7 21:48:00 EST 2005 i686 GNU/Linux

My video card details are as follows:
nVidia RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro (rev 15)

I have agpgart compiled in the kernel:
Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 94M
agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000

lspci output for card:
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV5M64 [RIVA TNT2
Model 64/Model 64 Pro] (rev 15)

The old version of XFree I was running on debian 3.0 (woody) was 4.1.0.1

I have included below my latest XF86Config, the XF86Config that worked in 3.0 (i tried the old config file with this new X / debian and it crashes as well), and the log file output from /var/log/XFree86.0.log denoted by:

"My current XF86Config-4 file is as follows:"
"My original working XF86Config was as follows in 3.0:"
"My XFree version output:"
"Log file output from XFree86.0.log in /var/log:"

Try it after deleting the extra "Generic Mouse" section in your new XF86Config.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |