On 7/7/05, Tobin Mason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I was having problems with Xwindows so I decided to install Xfree86
> the install went fine but when I restarted and typed 'startx' (is this
> right? is it startx for xfree86 as well?) I got this output:
Yup, 'startx' is the correct command to start XFree86 once you have it
configured.

> (II) Loading sub module "fbdevhw"
> (II) LoadModule: "fbdevhw"
> (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/linux/libfbdevhw.a
> (II) Module fbdevhw: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
>         compiled for 4.5.0, module version = 0.0.2
>         ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.8
> (II) FBDEV(1): using default device
> (--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
> (--) Chipset vesa found
> (--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
> (--) Chipset generic found
>
> Fatal server error:
> Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs        for all
> framebuffer devices
It looks like XFree86 is configured to use the fbdev driver. To do
this, you probably want a framebuffer driver that works with your
particular graphics chipset.

If you didn't really want to use the framebuffer driver, you can have
XFree86 try to automatically generate a working configuration file.
Run 'X -configure' and it will make a config file and tell you how to
test it. When you like it, copy it to /etc/X11/XF86Config.

HTH.

-Andy