On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Bruce Weyrauch wrote:

Hi,
Infinetix has designed a custom video control board using 4 SM722 chips. This is a replacement board for an older design using 4 Chips&Technology CT69000 devices. Our target system uses 8 video controllers driving 8 LCD panels in a multi-player gaming system. The target operating system is Linux, using XFree86.

I am having some difficulty getting the multiple controller system working. I can get a single SM722 evaluation board to start X correctly, and I have also had success getting a dual monitor system to work using the SM722 eval board as the primary display, then using a Chips&Technology board as the secondary display. However, if I reverse this order and install the C&T board as the primary, then the SM722 as secondary, X fails to start correctly. I have attached XFree86 log files for these two cases. I have also attached a log file where two SM722 controllers were installed. Here is a summary of my testing:

1. SM722 Primary Display, Chips&Technology CT69000 Secondary display - Log file XFree86.SMprimaryCTsecondary.log.
 Both displays worked fine
2. Chips&Technology CT69000 Primary Display, SM722 Secondary display - Log file XFree86.CTprimarySMsecondary.log.
 XFree86 failed and crashed with the following result (excerpted from log):
((WW) Silicon MotionCannot read colourmap from VGA. Will restore with default
      (II) Silicon Motion    SMI_GEReset called from smi_driver.c line 1579
      (II) Silicon Motion    SMI_GEReset called from smi_accel.c line 263

3. SM722 Primary Display, Chips&Technology CT69000 Secnodary display - Log file XFree86.SMevalSMdigideal.log.
 XFree86 failed and crashed with the following result (excerpted from log):
((WW) Silicon MotionCannot read colourmap from VGA. Will restore with default
      (II) Silicon Motion    SMI_GEReset called from smi_driver.c line 1579
      (II) Silicon Motion    SMI_GEReset called from smi_accel.c line 263

I would appreciate some help in debugging this problem, along with any suggestions you may have.

Well, I'm no expert in Silicon Motion hardware, but a -logverbose 4 log (with an SM722 as secondary) might provide a clue.

There are also a couple of shots in the dark you can try:

1) Add Option "NoUseBIOS" to SM722 secondary screens;
2) Change SMI_PreInit() to not get rid of pSmi->pInt10 before returning;
3) Uncomment SMI_PreInit()'s calls to xf86SetOperatingState().

Thanks, and good luck.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Academic Information and        |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|    Communications Technologies   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  352 General Services Building   +-----------------------------------+
|  University of Alberta           |                                   |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  T6G 2H1                         |                                   |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |