On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Lance Duivenbode wrote:

I work for uses Linux (a custom version) running the 2.4.24 kernel and we've just upgraded to XFree86 4.5.0. Previously, when X was started without a mouse it would exit back to the shell complaining that it couldn't find the core pointer. However, since we've upgraded to 4.5.0 this behaviour no longer occurs - even with the "AllowMouseOpenFail" server flag explicitly set to "false".

Given the fact that my company remotely manages internet kiosks, we want to be able to detect if a mouse is not connected since this usually indicates faulty hardware. Is it still possible to prevent X from starting if there is no mouse attached or has this option been removed? I would appreciate any help since I've not been able to find anything in the docs or via searching the internet.

This is likely a consequence of auto-configuration. I'll have a look. You wouldn't happen to have a mouse-less log, would you?

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Academic Information and        |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|    Communications Technologies   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  352 General Services Building   +-----------------------------------+
|  University of Alberta           |                                   |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  T6G 2H1                         |                                   |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |