Hi Tad,

Good to hear you got X running. Your friend is right in some respect - XFree86 is not a GUI or as they are generally known as in Linux - a Window Manager. KDE is a window manager but it requires XFree86 to run since KDE (like every other Window Manager) is not able to access the your computer's hardware directly. Therefore, XFree86 provides access to your display and control hardware (mouse, keyboard, video card, etc) whilst a window manager is responsible for organising how your windows / programs are displayed.

Coming from a Microsoft Windows or MacOS perspective I can understand this may be a little daunting but once you get used to the concept it's not that difficult.

Now, since you appear to be quite new I'd suggest you install both KDM and KDE. KDM is a graphical login manager, and can be configured to load X automatically when you boot. Once you login using KDM, it will automatically start your default window manager (which should be KDE).

To do this from the linux console type the following as root or a superuser (<ENTER> means to hit the ENTER key):

   apt-get update <ENTER>
   apt-get install kde kdm <ENTER>

Be aware, KDE is quite big so it could take some time to get the packages if your internet connection is slow. It's well worth it though since it's quite easy to use. Make sure you choose KDM as the default display manager when prompted by the configuration process.

Also, a couple of tips. If you ever need to quit X and don't know how (i.e. you've just got a screen and no mouse pointer or something has gone wrong with your window manager) you can force it to quit by pressing the CONTROL, ALT, and BACKSPACE keys all together. If you started X from the command line, you'll be dropped back there or if it was started by KDM, a new copy should be started for you. Secondly, you can always get back to a console by pressing CONTROL, ALT, and <F#> together - where <F#> is either the F1, F2, F3, F4, F5, or F6 key. After you've finished with the console and if X is still running you can get back to it by pressing CONTROL, ALT and F7 together.

Anyway, I hope that helps you a little, feel free to repost if you need more help.

Cheers,
Lance

Tad Dixon wrote:

I figured out how to run those commands. I was just told by a friend that
xfree86 is not a gui. Is that true? I was able to run XFree86 -autoconfig.
It brought up a screen and mouse pointer only. I had to shut the computer
down. It would not do anything else. If XFree86 is not a gui, what the hell
is it? Thank you for your help. I would love to keep in touch as I learn
about all of this. My friend tells me to forget about XFree86 and get KDE.
What do you think.

Thanks
Tad