Hello,

as I announced before, I discontinued XMail-WAI and I'm planning new
version, which would be built on the .NET technology (mainly ASP.NET).

Currently, there is finished XMail-CTRL, universal module for =
communication
with XMail using it's CTRL protocol.

I am sending you list of planned features, for discussion. Also, I am
accepting offers for help with implementation of features. The project =
would
be distributed in Visual Studio .NET, used language would be VB.NET, =
license
used would be GNU GPL.

The main features of XMail-WAI would be in the .NET version too, with
exception of webmail (I'll discuss that later). Generally, it would =
allow
distribution of privileges on server/domain/user levels. New features =
would
include:

- Possibility to limit account creation per domain, either by maximum =
number
or by assigning the total amount of disk space.
- Better cooperation (with the new filtering system), which would allow
things like autoresponders etc. to work.
- Speed optimization. Current version is too slow, due to ctrlclnt.exe. =
It
can be better if rewritten to Shawn's eyeXMail.

The features which would not be in the .NET version (although some of =
them
are in the current version):

- SLIM collaboration. I see that SLIM (my list manager) is ugly. Do you =
know
about some list manager, which would run on Windows platform and would, =
work
well with xmail, be free, preferably open-source, and not require
third-party software, such as Perl or Cygwin? If yes, I'll use it and =
write
it's support to XMail-WAI.NET. If no, I'll consider writing of SLIM.NET,
which is long-term task.
- Multi-language interface. I wrote about this recently - writing
multi-language interface is a lot harder that the single-language one.
Moreover, there is problem with further development, to maintain the
language data files. Therefore, the XMail-WAI.NET would be in English =
only.
As it would use UNICODE, there should not be problem with non-ASCII
characters (but I cannot guarantee languages like chinese to work).
- Webmail. To write webmail is not a simple task and I don't have time =
to do
it well. So, there would be no webmail in the first stage.
- Frozen messages management. Since XMail has option to simply discard
undeliverable messages, I started to use it and don't bother with frozen
messages anymore.
- The strange things like pop3link etc. I am not using it, never was, =
never
will, don't know how it's working.

What I need:
- Your suggestions, what the XMail-WAI.NET should do.
- Your help with programming, mainly on the abstraction layer (see =
lower),
but everything.

Currently, the XMail-CTRL is working on the CTRL layer, so it returns =
values
withount any abstraction as array of string. I want to write something =
with
current codename XAL (XMail Abstraction Layer, compare with HAL - =
Hardware
Abstraction Layer), which would convert Xmails CTRL output to .NET =
native
formats, like datasets properly typed for databinding, etc. It's =
relatively
simple work, but the main problem for me, because I don't have enough =
time
:-(

-- Michal A. Valasek
   Altair Software Production