On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, David Stebbings wrote:

> Yep, using Campaign enterprise as the feeder (on win2k) going to xmail =
> (on win2k) and relaying to another smtp server (IIS' SMTP on win2k)
>
> Thats not doing any processing on the emails but I reckon any processing =
> overhead would be minor compared to IO issues.
>
> For the record microsoft IIS SMTP server is much the same performance.

You can't test like this. The receiving SMTP serve must be one order of
magnitude faster than the one you're testing otherwise the limit might be
the receiving part (supposing that the sending one is fast enough). We
used to do those tests against a dual PIII 1GHz with dual ethernet
epro100. On one eth was hooked the feeder, that was a quad Xeon 1GHz
running an ultra-fast MT SMTP client and on the other side the was a so
called SMTP black-hole able to receive 1.2 million messages per hour.
Also, log must be disabled when you are testing those kind of performances
since different MTA have different logging methods. IIS SMTP used to crash
after 2 hour of load.