At 10:38 1/13/2004, Jeffrey Laramie wrote:
>Right, but getting back to Dale's original concern, his virtual domains
>won't fail the remote server's RDNS check if the DNS for his SMTP server
>is configured correctly. And he shouldn't be afraid to use RDNS to check
>the validity of a remote server. Even a couple of years ago spoofing was
>relatively rare and a mail server that failed RDNS was not a big deal.
>Today about half of the spam I see is rejected by RDNS before my users
>see it. IMHO any SMTP server that fails RDNS is broken and should be fixed.
True. However, most RDNS checks today are to determine that a mail server
(ie. a connecting IP address) *has* a PTR record, not to match the PTR
record with the HELO or MAIL FROM domain.

However, with that said, I do match the PTR record against a number of
known spam source DNS names, and reject if I find it in that list...