I've had something similar here; XMail 1.17 on Debian 3.0.

One of our users decided to send out a 6mb attachment to all our staff (47
users), & about 70 percent of the messages received had corrupted
attachments.  That was some time ago & since then I've told the person to
use our network for such distribution.  However it doesn't take away from
the fact that messages were corrupted.

Adrian Hicks
--
MIS & Facilities Manager