Hi.

For the last few days I've been trying to get a box inside our firewall to
use our XMail server (outside the firewall) as a gateway for sending
automated messages from our extranet.  The box inside has Debian sarge &
exim 3.36-11 installed, & exim is set to use the XMail machine as an
outgoing mail gateway.  The XMail machine is Debian Woody with  XMail 1.18,
upgraded from 1.17.

I set up an ID & pass in SMTPAUTH.TAB (I believe that's the correct file to
use), and also tested using two mail accounts on the XMail machine.

After several failed tests I used telnet to connect & have had inconsistent
results, sometimes getting an ok, sometimes getting a "relay denied".  And
I've had some connection attempts ok one day and the next day I get a
"relay denied" using exactly the same commands, ID & pass.

The accounts I have used are ok for relaying with authentication, & in the
past I have not had these errors.  Also strange is that I can send mail
outside  through my MUA using the same auth ID & pass with no problems.

Could someone get back to me re. the transcript of the telnet session
(below) & let me know if I've got the sequence/commands right or wrong, and
any other thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks in advance

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED] adrianh]$ telnet merlin 25
Trying 202.42.186.82...
Connected to merlin (202.42.186.82).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [XMail 1.17 (Linux/Ix86) ESMTP
Server] service ready; Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:28:06 +0800
ehlo maverick.sing.auston.com
250-sing.auston.com
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-8BITMIME
250-PIPELINING
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5
250 SIZE 10485760
auth login [EMAIL PROTECTED] ************ (password removed)
334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
helo maverick.sing.auston.com
334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
mail from: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
501 Syntax error in parameters or arguments
mail from: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
250 OK
rcpt to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
550 Relay denied