Tracy wrote:
> As I understand it, the POP3 specification indicates that the mailbox
> will be locked for the duration of any login session. I'm not sure that
> changing that would be a good idea - introduces non-standard behavior.

That's right. IMHO this should be a configurable option, so that the
user is aware that this only makes sense when messages are not polled by
2 or more clients in parallel.

In fact many ISPs seem to skip this part of RFC1939 on their POP servers
in order to offer e.g. webmail to their clients for mobile access while
Outlook is still running 24h in their office.

The RFC doc does not care about the common client feature to leave mails
several days on the server, which makes this restricion outdated.

If concurrent logins are handled on properly server level, it won't
cause much trouble on client side ...

-- Harald

> If you need multiple login access to a mailbox, you really need to move
> to IMAP (which, as I understand it, is under development - or there are
> third-party solutions which can be deployed with xmail).
>
> Harald Schneider wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> currently a POP box is locked for further logins which is a problem when
>> trying to access the box from other clients or via webmail in parallel.
>>
>> Now we have the feature to keep mails on pop3linked boxes which screams
>> for that feature too. There are also many POP servers out there which do
>> not have that limitation.
>>
>> Would be nice to see this in the next release. Your thoughts ?
>>

>> Thank you very much,
>> Harald
>>

>> -
>> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe xmail" in
>> the body of a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> For general help: send the line "help" in the body of a message to
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Harald Schneider
Softwareentwicklung + Mediadesign
Kreuzweg 17 - 66663 Merzig - Germany
USt-Ident DE163098498

Tel: 49 6861 792145  Fax: 49 6861 792146
Skype: hschneider66 ( skype:hschneider66?add )