On 11 Oct 2007, at 16:02, Fabian Cenedese wrote:

> Hi
>
> I recently had a case where xmail got about a dozen mails at the same
> time (with PSYNC). So I then had several threads doing virus scanning
> and spam checking. As each thread only got a little CPU time they
> timed out and the mails slipped through without being checked.
>
> Apart from increasing the filter timeout time I would also like to lower
> the number of threads doing the filtering in filter.in.tab. Are these the
> SMAIL threads? So I need to give a lower -Qn argument?
>
> I don't mind if a mail has to wait some minutes before it is filtered,
> the filter is more important then the immediate delivery.
>
> Are there any other effects with less threads? Is the responsiveness
> still the same (should be so as they are handled from POP3/SMTP)?

That would/used to likely cause a kernel panic on my NetBSD server
(k6-400/128MB ram.

I used both xmail commandline parameters and filter scripts to limit
number processed simultaneously. I'm not sure which settings as this
was a long while back. In the filter script I inserted a check on
what filter was already running and a wait until < 2 were running
before next one progressed. Spamassassin perl seemed to be main
culprit rather than fprot. My test was to send a dozen emails from a
remote account, 4 x ok, 4 x virus and 4 x spam and with number of
simultaneous processes at 4 I'd occasionally have a problem so
settled for 2 and there is only a short delay introduced such that
from my remote account the sending client didn't timeout with all
having been delivered within 30 - 40 sec.

David