De: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
A: xmail@xmailserver.org
Date: 21/04/08 19:51
Objet: [xmail] XMailServer 1.25 Memory Footprint

Hi guys,
I have just installed XMail 1.25 and am not seeing some odd behaviour
from it.   It has taken me a while to try and track down what is
happening, but here it is from what I can find.

The new server is put live and works extremely well.    After several
hours, I get alerts saying that the system memory is exhausted.    The
memory footprint of XMail stays consistent at about 85mb - the rest of
the system memory is all allocated to Buffers and Cache.   There is
virtually no swap space used, but a higher than expected load average on
the system.

I have taken the server offline so there is no traffic running to it.
On a reboot the memory is released, but as soon XMail is restarted the
Cache and Buffers climb back up and use all the memory again.  That
would eliminate an external influence on the server, and suggest
something that is already on the XMail queue.

I wiped all frozen spool from the server and restarted again.  Same as
above, the server released the memory but as soon as XMail started it
started to grab all free memory for Cache and Buffers.  This would
suggest something that XMail is still trying to process?

I trawled the spool queue and found several mails that appeared to be
"stuck".  It would appear that XMail would repeatedly try and process
these, it would not as I could see spool files being created and removed
as it goes thorough the motions.   I have downloaded the spool queues
and had a look through them offline, it would appear that the mails that
are causing an issue on this server are coming from badly set up
domains.   I ran these domains through dnsstuff to see how they were set
up.

One of the domains was set up with no MX record and no A records.  Even
when manually submitting test mail for this domain, it would be accepted
and then causes XMail to overreact.
The rest of the domains I saw on the spool queue had minor anomalies,
but when submitting manual mails via telnet for these domains it did not
seem to cause the same reaction as the domain with no zone information.

Obviously wiping the spool queue and rebuilding it from the source
example resolves the issue and the behaviour returns to normal.

Is this a known behaviour or "feature" in 1.25?  Has anyone else seen
this happening?  Is there any way of being able to stop this behaviour?

Registered in England and Wales. Registration Number: 3472519.
Registered Office: 1 The Green, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 1PL, United
Kingdom

This e-mail and any attachment may contain confidential and privileged
material intended for the addressee only. If you are not the addressee,
you are notified that no part of the e-mail or any attachment may be
disclosed, copied or distributed, and that any other action related to
this e-mail or attachment is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful.

If you have received this e-mail by error, please notify the sender
immediately by return e-mail, and delete this message. QSoft Consulting
Ltd., its subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the
incorrect or incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments,
or responsible for any delay in receipt. Any opinions expressed in this
message are those of the author only and do not necessarily represent
the views of QSoft Consulting Ltd.