As programs are more and more complex when adding features, it is frequent
to miss/forget some 'old' internal implementations details :)

>I originally tried adding entries to smtprelay.tab which did not work
>either.
>
>> For now, Hal, I think you could use your firewall to block any
>'external'
>> attempts to go to you Postini dedicated xmail server ip and ports ;)
>
>The problem is that I use xMail as part of my ISP service therefore
>customers are using xMail as their outbound eMail MTA on Port 25
>from all over the place on the net therefore it is not possible to block
>the port.
>
>Even if I could use my firewall to block access; Postini does not have
>a feature to change the forwarding IP Port for the Relay nor any kind
>of Authorization that I know of.

Can you add another IP to your xmail server ?
If so, add it to xmail inbound cmd line parameters, then for this ip add a
rule in your firewall to block any traffic except postini server.

(If postini is on the same server as xmail, you could add 127.0.0.1 to xmail
inbound, then ask postini to send to ip 127.0.0.1. No firewall rules at all
needed then.)

>> IMOO another smtp.ipprop.tab parameter like "MailAuth=0" should
>> be created (to not change/mix 'ip checks' rules)
>
>IMOO I think of this as a Relay function so I think the smtprelay.tab is
>the place for the information. The docs define the purpose is to allow
>hosts or networks to use the server as relay.

Yes it could be an alternative placement for this parameter for 'relay'.
But, adding it also to ipprop could allow to accept specific clients without
auth but with relay not allowed.

MailAuth=0 in smtp.relay : accept this ip to relay without auth
MailAuth=0 in smtp.ipprop : accept this ip without auth for local delivery
only
So the two implementations could be nice :)

>Agains the docs say using SmtpConfig-IP makes "authentication require[d]
>to send mail to the server. Please note that by setting this value
>everything
>requires authentication, even for sending to local domains, and this is
>probably
>not what you want."
>
>However, I'm not sure why SmtpConfig-IP is locked down so hard?

The problem is not in SmtpConfig-IP rules if you can use specific rules to
'open the door a little', the problem is that actually 'open the door a
little' is missing in xmail (some MailAuth=0 in some places) :)

(Notice that using some other ip and/or ports, and some firewall rules, you
can do the job.)

>Maybe, another way to think about this is that a parameter needs to be
>added to SmtpConfig-IP to determine if the smtp.ipprop.tab or
>smtprelay.tab
>should override the "MailAuth". For example:
>
>"SmtpConfig-64.74.149.27,25"   "MailAuth"      "ipprop"
>"SmtpConfig-64.74.149.27,25"   "MailAuth"      "relay"

IMOO not enough secure, as the flags here will be valid for all the entries
in the corresponding files.
Using MailAuth=0 in the 'good' places (ipprop and relay) seems to be better.

>Any further suggestions Francis?
>
>I just can't believe that as popular as Postini has become that I'm the
>first
>one trying to get xMail integrate with it! Anyone done this before?

Seems xmail users prefer alternative solutions :)
(and many exist)
Personnaly I use xmail with blacklists, then glst filter, then xmail with av
filters. Simple to implement, and more than 95% spams and viruses down at
first and second stage without 'big' filtering mecanisms/products/gaz
machines :)