Here is what I have done in the past.

1.       Copy the whole MailRoot folder to your new server

2.       Extract everything to a new directory on your new server

3.       Remove the content the following directories

a.       MailRoot/dnscache/mx

b.      MailRoot/dnscache/ns

c.       MailRoot/tabindex

d.      MailRoot/spool

e.      Manually create MailRoot/spool/temp

f.        Manually create MailRoot/spool/local

4.       Download XMail-1.26

5.       Extract the 1.26 tarball into a temporary directory

6.       Compile XMail-1.26 (see readme)

7.       Copy the new 1.26 binaries into MailRoot/bin/ of your old
installation

8.       Go to the website and read the changelog since 1.23 for adding the
new variables inside server.tab

There might be other minor things to adjust but that covers the major steps.

-fred