Hi Francis,

I have solved this, and then read your mail below.
I basically did what you wrote.

Wireshark did not decode for me, but I found that each attempt was the same
user/password.
I just used the text shown in Wireshark and pasted into some online base64
en/decoder.

As they were all the same encoded text, I began to suspect a user and not an
attack.

Here's the egg.... It was my father's ADSL router attempting to send it's
log to me.
The same one I configured a couple of months ago to send me the log, so I
could use the src IP in a poor man's dynamic-dns resolver.

Except I typo'd the SMTP auth user name.  :-(

The key to it was that he usually leaves his PC on, and I was suspecting an
infection of some kind, but today he is away and turned it off.
So it started me thinking, if his PC is off, what could be sending from his
IP address -> the router !!!

Thanks to all.

(Still would be nice if the pop3/smtp logs showed the user-id used in a
failed login attempt. It would help tracking the source down.)

Rob :-)