Hi Davide,

Apologies for my late reply.

> Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 19:33:47 -0800
> From: davi...@xmailserver.org
> To: xmail@xmailserver.org
> Subject: Re: [xmail] suspicious mail behaviour; don't know what to make of it
> . . .
>
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2011, Spyros Tsiolis wrote:
>
> ----%<----%<----%<----%<----
> >
> > Hi Davide,
> >
> > No, no way. Users have achieved such level of mentality as to not do damage
> > to their
> > own system :-)
> > This is definitely automated by someone from the outside.
> > How he managed to get access to the mailserver on the DMZ, I am still trying
> > to find that one out (If I even find anything).
>
> Well, if the password was same as user, that's the first thing brute force
> methods try.
>

> - Davide

Yes, it seems you hit it on the nail.
Indeed the pass was the same as the user. I didn't pay any attention to it
because it wasn't a proper XMail user; It was a drop-list (alias).
However, this chap managed to trick the system.
Thankfully, he didn't do much damage.
Just FYI, I took away the account for a week or so and re-visited XMails'
usernames/passwords. Made very lengthy and dificult passwords for all
the XMail accounts. Then re-installed the drop-list account but this time
with a very complicated password.
This time around, everything went fine and this chap is out of our
club :-)

Thank you for everything,

Kind regards,

s.

-----
"I merely function as a channel that filters music through
the chaos of noise"
- Vangelis