I use XMail in some customers servers and they have big mailboxes, but
don't have such problem.
What XMail version are you using? What OS and filesystem type?
I use XMail 1.27 on Slackware 13.37 64bits with reiserfs.
How maildir works with a file per message, reiserfs is very nice to handle
large number of files.