On Sun, Mar 03, 2024 at 12:39:12PM -0800, Alan Coopersmith wrote:

> > 1) meson.build defines:
> >
> > datarootdir = get_option('prefix') / get_option('datadir')
> > sgmlrootdir = datarootdir / 'sgml'
> >
> > and generates the pkgconfig file from the template with:
> >
> > pc_conf = configuration_data({
> >      'prefix': get_option('prefix'),
> >      'datarootdir': '${prefix}/share',
> >      'sgmlrootdir': '${datarootdir}/sgml',
> >      'PACKAGE_VERSION': meson.project_version()
> > })
> > configure_file(input: 'xorg-sgml-doctools.pc.in',
> >                 output: 'xorg-sgml-doctools.pc',
> >                 install_dir: get_option('datadir') / 'pkgconfig',
> >                 configuration: pc_conf)
> >
> > Above, for the pkgconfig file, datarootdir is reset with something
> > that can be different from the first definition if 'datadir' (a meson
> > built-in option) is something else than the default 'share'.
>
> That seems like a mistake - I don't remember any reason that the datadir &
> sgmlrootdir variables weren't used for the values in pc_conf.

I've just found the reason why: the CI compares the pc file generated
by autotools against the pc file generated by meson. If they are
different, the pipeline fails.

This is why these values were passed semi-independently for pkgconfig.

I think I have found the way to suppress the discrepancy while letting
CI pass (with default values).

Testing...
--
        Thierry Laronde <tlaronde +AT+ kergis +dot+ com>
                     http://www.kergis.com/