Using U10.04, I get

"You have requested a mode-line
That is not possible, or not supported by your hardware configuration"

when pressing 'Test' in xvidtune as soon as it appears (without any modification of the parameters).

I would like to maintain a 1:1 pixel equivalence after reducing the working area, would the xvidtune approach do that or would it try to fit 1024x600 in a 1024x590 area instead, losing resolution?

Pat: Not a spammer here! Can you paste the odd message here to find out what can it be?
Sorry English is not my primary language, thanks for your understanding.

Carlos.