On Tue, 26 Apr 2011, Marty Jack wrote:

On 04/26/2011 11:35 AM, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
On 04/26/11 08:19 AM, frank wrote:

Hello Alan,

Thanks for replying. It seems I didn't make myself clear.

Please go to a graphic terminal, press ^V then F1 or F2 or Home or
Left or any of the functional keys. You are inserting the keystring
associated with those keys. Home for instance has "^[OH" (not same
as in text console).

Where are these strings listed? Surely there must be a header file
somewhere? How it is called? Where is it?

Those are defined in the terminal emulator you are using, not X itself,
and have nothing to do with xmodmap.

Check the source code of xterm, gnome-terminal, etc.  (Sorry, I don't
know the exact .c or .h file there.) They should be  referenced in the
matching termcap/terminfo entries as well.

Not exactly (gnome-terminal as such is a wrapper around vte, which provides all of the terminal emulation part).

If you go to http://invisible-island.net/xterm/ctlseqs/ctlseqs.html and look for the sections beginning at "PC-Style Function Keys" section, it is a start. These are for xterm but almost all terminal emulators will do this the same way.

All but the end of that section - the other emulators differ from xterm.

To see some of that, look at
        infocmp xterm-new konsole
        infocmp xterm-new putty
        infocmp xterm-new vte (or gnome)

using ncurses 5.9's terminal database of course.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net