Matthew Reppert wrote:

> Kevin Brosius wrote:
>  >

> > Are there modules in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules?  And does the bitmap module
> > exist there?  (It's normally down a level, fonts/libbitmap.a.)
>
> Yes, it's there.
>
> Okay ... this is GNU binutils. Since I've seen people have been
> compiling with gcc under linux, I didn't think twice about my GNU
> binutils, but I'm using the most recent release of them, 2.11.2. Think
> that's the problem? (I should've made that clearer, prolly ... )
>
> Matt

Might be... If you built your own ld, did you use the same binutils?  Or
maybe it's an incompatibilty between those binutils and the XFree86
module loader (which seems likely since you can't load modules.)  You
could build a static server (no external modules), although that's just
a workaround if you want to find out what's wrong.

binutils 2.10.0.33-13 works here (that's a SuSE Linux version).  And gcc
2.95.3 is considered stable, so I wouldn't worry about that.

--
Kevin