Kenneth Crudup wrote:

> *sigh*
>
> Oh well, it was at least worth a try ...!

?

Did you try it?  What happened?  (I'm having a little trouble reading
your mind from here.)

> Would "xset dpms force off" have
> done it?

Oh, is that the command you used to test it?  Yes, that would do it.
Assuming nothing else went wrong.  Did you verify the new module was
loaded by checking the log file for the new version?

The down side...  The ViRGE chip controls the LCD, but I don't think it
has to control the backlight.  I've got documentation for the ViRGE, but
no idea how to access the backlight if it isn't controlled by the ViRGE
chip.

--
Kevin