On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 09:41:02AM +0000, Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
>On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, Anthony Kong wrote:
>
>> Hi, all,
>>
>> I have just downloaded the tar ball of the Xfree86
>> 4.2.0 source code. After I typed "make World", it
>> stopped with the following messages:
>>
>> make[2]: Entering directory
>> `/usr/src/xfree86-4.2/xc/include`
>> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `clean`. Stop.
>
>I get this occasionally (I think it sometimes happens after I've
>interrupted a make World).
>"make world" makes the Makefiles; I'm guessing that it finds some of them
>so doesn't make the rest, then make clean and make all fail because
>some Makefiles are missing.

I don't know about the original poster, but what you're probably seeing
is that 'make World' will do an initial 'make clean' to clean out from
a previous build if the top level "xmakefile" file exists.  If you
interrupt after a partial 'make World', then removing the top level file
"xmakefile" will prevent the initial 'make clean' when doing a subsequent
'make World'.

>Try "make Makefiles".
>
>I don't know why the tarballs should be in this state; I'd call it a bug.

They're not.  I've tested running 'make World' from cleanly extracted
tarballs from the XFree86 ftp site, and it completes without any problems.

David
--
David Dawes                                      Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Founder/President, Release Engineer              Phone: +1 570 764 0288