On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> under X. I am having difficulties with getting X going and would
>> appreciate if you could send me a) your XF86Config-4 file, b) any tips
>
>I'm unclear. Are you using a Tecra 9000 ? If not my config file
>won't help you. .... It won't help you anyway it's pretty stock
>standard as produced by xconfigurator ... :)
>
>If you want to get XFree86 working on a Tecra 9000 you need to
>use the drivers available on the S3 website. www.S3graphics.com
>(I think ...:) ). Install the new copy of savage_drv.o and then
>run xconfigurator. (NB. When you run xxonfigurator choose any
>card that matches the driver name (ie. savage_drv.o). I use
>either Savage Generic or Savage MX.

The latest Savage driver from Tim Roberts, is included in Red Hat
Linux 7.1 and 7.2, either stock, or with our current erratum.
Tim's driver is the latest driver.

>If you are using XFree86 4.1... then you may like to look at Tim
>Savage's driver (which he claims is more up to date that the S3
>one). NOTE: It is compiled for Xfree86 4.1 and won't work with
>4.03 which incidentally ships with RedHat 7.1 (I can't comment
>on other distros).

It is the latest one, and that driver was released quite some
time AFTER Red Hat Linux 7.1 was shipped.  I communicate with Tim
fairly often, and update the Savage driver with his newest code
whenever he releases a new update.  The current Savage driver
shipped for both Red Hat Linux 7.1 and 7.2 is 1.1.20t, which is
the latest version unless a new one has come out and gotten past
me.

Hope this helps.

General open IRC discussion:    #xfree86 on irc.openprojects.net