On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, M. Meyer wrote:

> Hello folks!

> I have got an HIS ATI Radeon 8500 OEM card, which is not
> manufactured by ATI but by "Hightech Information Systems"
> (http://www.hightech.com.hk/html/index.html). Xfree does not detect
> my card at all. I think this is because my OEM card has a different
> device id than an "original" ATI Radeon 8500 card which is
> manufactured by ATI themselves (my device id is: 0x514c, as you can
> see in the XFree output file at the bottom of this mail).  I have
> already tried a different XFree driver
> (http://gatos.sourceforge.net/)but it does not seem to detect my
> graphics card, too.

> 1. Is there any alternative XFree driver which supports my HIS ATI Radeon 8500 OEM
>card?

XFree86 v4.2 supports the 0x514c chip.

> 2. Is it possible just to modify the "device id recognition" in the original XFree
>driver in order to make it determine my chipset properly?
> (because I think my OEM card is in principle the same as the "original" ATI Radeon
>8500 card, it's just the device id that is different)

Try adding the line
    ChipId      0x5144
to the "Device" section of your config file.
This will make the server pretend you have a Radeon QD.
But I'd still prefer you to upgrade to XFree86 v4.2.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna