> Around 11 o'clock on Jun 17, Rick Beldin wrote:
>
> > I've got a version of xscope that I maintain at HP that has some
> > additional support for:
>
> Sounds like useful additions.  If your changes are covered by an MIT
> license, can you tar up the bits and publish a URL so we can grab them?
>
> Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab

Hi Keith,

The changes which Rick Beldin mentioned related to extension decoding
in xscope don't currently have an MIT license on them, but
I should be able to get that done.  (I hadn't done it previously
since the rest of xscope didn't have an MIT license, as you've
already noted.)

The changes involved adding an mini-infrastructure to decode extension
requests, replies, errors, and events, so that extensions can be
added easily and in a modular fashion.  At the time, this did what
I wanted with the least impact to the original source code.  I'm
sure others who have added extension tracing have made similar
changes.

I've added some extensions, but I didn't fully decode them all (i.e.
one only prints out the names of the requests and replies, but
it doesn't decode all of the information in each request/reply).

I think I also threw in some code to account for improperly encoded
reply lengths.  There was also a potential overflow problem
which I found when decoding some large replies (such as
XListFontsWithInfo() with lots of fonts present and XGetImage() for
really large images).  I found "a" fix for it, but it often
only defers the problem, so I'd hesitate to call it "the" fix.

If there's interest, I can work to get this contributed under
the proper license.

-paul