On Sun, 14 Jul 2002, Joseph Pingenot wrote:

>Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 22:04:39 -0500
>From: Joseph Pingenot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: Xpert digest, Vol 1 #2013 - 11 msgs
>
>>From: Lukas Molzberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>(3. It should be possible to configure XFree over a dialog that is intergrated
>>in Gnome and Kde.)
>
>I think what he means here is resizing the screen *without* going to a
>  virtual screensize.  One can resize the screen via keys or via a GUI
>  (e.g. wmxres), but the problem is that it's a *virtual* screen then,
>  and, instead of acting like a full screen, one scrolls around on the
>  larger "virtual" screen.

I don't see the connection to that from what he said, however
what you are asking for is the RandR (Resize and Rotate)
extention.  This extension is implemented already, and support
for it is available in the kdrive X server included with XFree86.
The core server simply has not had RandR functionality added yet.
It isn't funded development, so it will be done whenever someone
cares to do it and has the time.  I'm interested in working on
it, but it hasn't been priority one for me yet.

>What would be nice is a way to have X not make the new screen res virtual,
>  but actual.  :)

RandR

>BTW, what Xlib calls are involved to change screen resolution?  I couldn't
>  find one in the manpages, so far as I can tell.

None, it is the vidmode extension which changes video modes
currently, but that doesn't resize the root window.  RandR is
needed for that.

So this one feature is more or less 90% done already.  Not
something worth rewriting a new GUI from scratch over, and it
illustrates how easily XFree86 can be extended to add new
features as new requirements and problems present themselves as
being important to solve, and developers exist to implement the
new solutions.

--
Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,