On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 01:36:10AM -0400, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
> >
> > If you are using GATOS ati.2 binaries make sure that you use drm-kernel
> > modules from GATOS, not stock drm modules.
>
> The drm module in my kernel is indeed from gatos, but for some reason,
> it was not (being) loaded.  Once I manually modprobed "radeon"
> everything worked fine.

The intention is that the user does not compile any drm modules included
with the kernel and use gatos drm-kernel instead. It is possible to
install gatos drm-modules into /lib/modules/..., but I would recommend to
explicitly load them (from /etc/rc.d/rc.local or by hand).

These are experimental modules after all.

> Is the appropriate drm module supposed to get "auto"-loaded in any
> manner or is it up to the user (or his distribution) to know that he
> needs to load it?  I am using a devfs environment.
>
> Additionally, I have the following in my XF86Config-4 file:
>
>     Load "dri"
>     Load "glx"
>
> But I am still not getting direct rendering on my "Radeon QD" PCI.
> Does direct rendering work on PCI cards or only AGP cards?

I do not think gatos drm-modules work well with PCI cards (at least not
without changing some flags). They have definitely not been tested with
Radeon PCI cards. AFAIK, by default GATOS drm modules have Radeon PCIGART
disabled, same as in XFree86 4.2.0.

                        Vladimir Dergachev