> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 01:11:34 EDT
>
> Is anyone able to help with me with the issue of a 14.1" monitor at
> 1050X1400 resolution causing the font way too small.  The option is
> to set the resolution lower, IE 768X1024 which causes the screen
> font to be very hazy and out of focus... Is there such a thing as
> operating the screen clearly at anything but the max 1050X1400
> resolution?  Thanks.

I also have a T30 with the hi-res display. I think it's great! But I
can believe that the fonts may be kinda small at that resolution. I
like them for most things, but I often increase my XEmacs font size to
14 to make it easier to read.

I think that's the only solution, really. Most X apps allow you to
choose fonts, including the gnome terminal. select a font you like.

The one place you might be struck is the web browser. Some pages built
with FrontPage have a problem with the fonts displayed by any browser
other than Explorer. This is actually a Microsoft bug in FP that is
fixed by a deliberate "fix" in Explorer. But other browsers follow
proper HTML and display itsy-bitsy fonts. There is no fix for this.

One work-around would be to define several display modes in your
XF86Config file. I define 1400x1050, 1280x1024, 1024x768, and
800x600. You can switch "on the fly" by typing <CTRL-ALT-KP+> or
<CTRL-ALT-KP->. This is complicated a bit on a laptop in that you
don't have a keypad. You need to enable NumLock to place the <KP+> on
the '?' key and the <KP-> is on the ';' key.

NumLock is usually activated on the T30 with <Shift-ScrLk>, but I
found my default X keymap did not allow this, so I had to enter the
command:
xmodmap -e "keycode  78 = Scroll_Lock NumLock"
to set it up to match the markings.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                  Phone: +1 510 486-8634